Sunday Easy Thread: Prospects Rise To the Occasion
The Avs are still in the midst of their 4 day break but the rest of the org has been doing work this weekend. On the professional side, the Eagles and Rampage win big and sit at the top of their respective divisions while some of the amateurs are putting together some pretty special numbers.
– Starting with the Eagles, they remain undefeated after beating the Norfolk Admirals twice this weekend. J-C Beaudin picked up his first goal & assist as a pro last night and had 4 SOG. Rampage contracted players getting on the board included Michael Joly with his 2nd assist of the year on Beaudin’s goal and Gabe Verpaelst with his first goal of the year. Ben Storm had an assist for those that like to keep up with the big fella.
– The Rampage beat Texas for the second night in a row in Austin. The score ended up 6-2 but San Antonio benefited from a total meltdown by the Stars midway through the 2 when they scored 5 goals in 6:25. Aside from that they were outshot by 9 thanks to score effects and had some of the same issues that have nagged all season. The top line was once again totally ineffective, one assist for Brendan Ranford (on an ENG) and 4 shots between the 3 was all they could manage and they were chronically trapped in the d-zone. The rundown on all the fun:
- Dominic Toninato scored his first goal as a pro and he liked it so much he added a shortie 5 minutes later. He’s caught a lot of grief from many of us for not being able to finish in the rookie showcase and pre-season, tigervixxxen even remarked “he’s a great 190 foot player” while we watched the 1st period. He must have sensed this and decided to blast our narrative.
- Andrei Mironov scored his first goal as a North American pro, although he honestly had little to do with it. It was basically kicked in by the opponent. He also added an assist on Tomato’s shortie. If he was sent down to build confidence then mission accomplished.
- Reid Petryk re-entered the lineup after being scratched Friday and had a very good game. He scored on a breakaway when a Stars D-man steamrolled him over his own goalie. Tied with Tomato for the team lead in shots with 3 to boot.
- AJ Greer had an assist on Felix Girard’s score, which capped off the 5-goal rally. Aside from that he continued his steady play from Friday and looks closer and closer to being ready for some NHL time.
- Joe Colborne had an empty-net goal and assist as well. Via the eye test he’s not playing all that well but continues to put points on the board.
– Besides winning their 3rd straight and solidifying their spot on top of the Pacific, there was a little more on the line last night for a few guys. The Avs have some injury woes and need to call up 2 forwards, which was announced by Jared Bednar Friday afternoon. Here’s where I see it currently:
- The last 2 games have been AJ Greer’s first of the year after dealing with a concussion in pre-season. He’s looked solid, put up an assist in each and been one of the best forwards on the ice in both games.
- Like Jackie said, Toninato has been a great 190 foot forward so far with the Avs & Rampage. Last night night he earned those last 10 feet and catapulted himself into contention for one of the callup spots.
- Gabe Bourque hasn’t been very noticeable so far in San Antonio but he’s the experienced guy that the staff know they can count on. He’s the conservative pick.
- Rocco Grimaldi has been fairly unimpressive in the first 5 Rampage games although he’s been hampered by playing with a center that loves to shoot rather than make plays in Agozzino. If he had been killing it like last year he’d be in the conversation but that’s not the case here.
- Besides the fact that the staff seem to be done with Joe Colborne in general, other than put up a few points he’s been pretty poor so far so I’d like to think he’s out of the running.
- Andrew Agozzino might be a thought as long as it’s at wing but anyone watching tape of the first 5 games won’t be dying to make that call.
- Felix Girard is the final forward that would be receiving attention here but what he does, Toninato has frankly done better so far.
From where I sit the decision comes down to taking 2 out of Greer, Toninato and Bourque. I’d take the first two and go for it but the Avs being who they are it would be a mighty surprise if Bourque isn’t one of the picks. We’ll see if the Avs announce something today. If not, Coach Bednar said they would keep the 2 callups out of the lineups for today’s game so we will get it by inference if nothing else.
– The Rampage finish off the 3-in-3 vs Texas this afternoon at home for the first time since opening night. Game time is at 4pm ET, come join us for chat in discord if you like.
– After the game, StephHouse & Co will be producing another episode of the Burgundy Radio Podcast and your questions are welcome as always. Just drop them in the comments here or @BurgundyRadio on twitter.
One thought on “Sunday Easy Thread: Prospects Rise To the Occasion”
Glad I finally said something clever enough for a meme! Toninato did have a great game, nice to see him score. Should have been on the ice for the ENG hatty.
You must log in to post a comment.