Daily Cupcakes: News & Links 9/5/17
Good morning all. Sandie’s off for the day so this is another “no cakes, just cup” edition. Let’s get to it.
- Tyson Jost joined Graham Turnbull on the brand new Junior A Puckcast last Thursday. His segment starts around 12 minutes in but the whole thing is good if you’re into the Canadian Junior A Leagues. (s/t to QJK)
- Get to know new Rampage defenseman Gabriel Verpaelst thanks to the good folks at Circling the Wagon. (s/t to RWtH)
- While we have captain’s practices going on at Family Sports all week, the staff at the Pepsi Center will begin laying the ice today. (Yeah, soon…)
- Our old friend Cole Hamilton has an excellent article up at BSN on the Avs road to relevance going through the NCAA. Seriously read this, great work.
- The Avs released a few new player numbers on Monday. We have a full review coming up, but here’s a tease:
Yakupov is the first to wear 64. pic.twitter.com/ndu6tqLqh6
— Colorado Avalanche (@Avalanche) September 4, 2017
Yak looks pretty stoked, eh? That’s all for now, although it’s a Tuesday and we all know what can happen on Tuesdays. Sandie returns tomorrow with the real deal, enjoy.
15 thoughts on “Daily Cupcakes: News & Links 9/5/17”
Oooh this will work from work.
Maybe it was the holiday weekend or something, I’m actually able to log in on my mobile today.
Excited to read about the camp results this weekend!
Cole’s article is definitely a good read.
The Avs seem unafraid of NCAA bound prospects, the real question is will it pay off? For developing prospects, is the NCAA any better than the numerous major junior leagues up north?
Yak has more teeth than seems possible.
Yes, I quite enjoyed Cole’s article. Thanks for that.
Thanks for stepping into Sandie’s shoes today, Earl. Now get out of them before you stretch them all out of shape.
Now I can’t stop looking at his fucking teeth. Thanks Andy.
He looks like Jaws from James Bond.
The pleasure is all mine.
Z Day is taking on a whole new meaning for me. He should be on the ice with the team today.
Do the Avs or anyone really concentrate on players from NCAA, CHL, Europe or whatever, or do they just look for the players they like the best.
During Roy’s time there was a push for the Q and usually I would say they just choose the best, but I think there is a concerted effort to change the personality of the team and that lent itself to college kids.
I think the focus on this crop of college kids is an effort to fill in some of the gaps from the year of abysmal drafting. I’m all for that.
They have scouts in all major areas / leagues so I doubt they have any major favoritism. Sometimes it just works out that way. I’m glad they’re not afraid to look for bigtime talent in lower leagues like the BCHL and AJHL though.
He’d have taken ne in Colorado first. 😊
I love this new site. You guys are amazing.
I feel good about Yak. Of all projects, I see this one working out so well that we forget he was a risky take.
Loving this new site and message board.
Starting to feel like the good ol’ days.
You must log in to post a comment.